Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Med interview prep

I am now consumed with interview prep!
My first interview is in a week and a half, and the second is three weeks after that.
What have I done, and what am I doing? Other than, you know, everything I've worked hard on in the past 8 years...

Went shopping with mom for interview clothes a week ago. Needed an outfit that was professional, conservative, appropriate, and that made me feel comfortable and confident. Found the dream outfit at banana republic, and got a surprise 25% off student discount that weekend. Magical!

Booked two mock interviews with my schools career services center. They film the interview and critique after. Done one so far, found it very helpful.

Arranged a mock interview with the father of a first aid teammate. He's a doctor, and has done prep interviews for other team members in the past.

Making list after list of things I've done, my strengths and weaknesses, reasons I want to go into medicine, and even the books I've read in the last year, the papers of written in four years, etc etc etc! Anything that would serve as good examples of the qualities and interests I claim to have!

Emailing my mom daily (yes she's a huge influence and help and support in this process, and my life!) with thoughts about interview questions and things

Keeping up with the news, including news in health and medicine, but other current events as well! - I always try to keep up with news, but am making a very conscious effort to now!

Reviewing philosophy of medicine notes and discussing ethics with my philosophy-major roommate, in prep for ethics questions. I feel confident in addressing ethical questions, but it is important to have a vocabulary to communicate it.

Reading one of those Success in Med Interviews books - a friend lent it to me. This is the point where I feel it's gone just a little too far, and gets slightly silly. But it's been an enjoyable read anyway

Researching everything about the schools and their cities!

And finally:
Thinking about interviews, day and night. Obsessive? Yeah a little. Aren't we all though?

No comments:

Post a Comment