Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Health and Well-Being and the Hospice Organization

Volunteering in a hospice in Africa last spring (see my other blog!) taught me a lot about the value of total health care and hospice care, that there's a lot more to health and wellness than traditional medicine. Also, I know, the burden of care on the family and especially primary caregiver. This is a major consideration in the family-based hospice model, which is often overlooked otherwise.

So over the past few months I've started volunteering with Acclaim Health, a Hospice organization, as a friendly visitor. All I do is spend time with an elderly woman who is living an increasingly limited and isolated life. She recently needed to move into a retirement home, and though she understands that it was necessary, it has been difficult for her. And for whatever reason, the move to care facilities often results (I'm speaking anecdotally!) in depression, and a general decline in health.

This woman is an incredible lady, and you can just tell she used to be incredibly active and accomplished many things in her younger days. It is certainly hard for her to have nothing to do but wander the quiet halls all day. Her memory and activity levels have already begun declining.

Her daughter's visits were the only thing she looked forward to, but it was an enormous commitment for the daughter to feel obligated to visit 7 days a week, with her own family and life to deal with as well.

My visits bring activity and companionship and variety to this lovely woman's life, and allows her daughter to visit 6 days a week instead of 7. My visits are more enjoyable than I ever would've expected, and the experience is incredibly rewarding.

Furthermore, I occasionally have met with my volunteer coordinator to discuss the client's condition, and different strategies and activities for my visits, and ways to accommodate and slow her memory loss. It feels wonderful to be part of a care team (the facility staff, myself, the hospice coordinator, and the daughter) that has such an impact on this woman's overall well-being, though our care is entirely non-medical.

I feel strongly about hospice organizations, because I feel this is the care and consideration that all people should receive when in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment